Wednesday, November 08, 2006

hey! My name is Drew, and this is my new blog.

I intend for this blog to be an outlet for my ideas. While another blog of mine (andrew1080) contains ramblings about things such as morality and girls, short stories, links to other interesting sites, postings about events and concerts and jokes, this blog will contain more succinct, dare i say academic, thoughts and musings.

I hope to follow the theme of this blog closely and post only thoughts that are conveyed with "circumscribed scrutiny." The scrutiny's circumscription will not confine my articles to any one topic but rather to a style. I've learned that my writing style mimics my speaking patterns too much--I cannot write in an academic way. While many people find the writing that pours from the ivory towers of academia too staunch and impenetrable, there ought to exist a middle ground which bridges the gap between Orwell's imagination-revving 1984 and the drudgingly boring criticism on it. I hope to find an enjoyable middle ground where my writing is engaging and lucid, both precise enough to be satisfying and elegantly insouciant (light, carefree) enough to be pleasant. [I had to look that one up too, but it was just what I meant. :) ]

It is possible that this blog will rather change my perception of academic writing rather than place my prose between the academic quad and the alleyway. I may come out of this writing admiring academic style and content all the more, or I may never wanting to pick up a book again. If anything, it will give me (and I hope you, as well) an opportunity to examine the distinction between two drastically different forms of writing. Perhaps your writing and reading rides the line between common and exclusive as well, and you are looking for a way to reconcile your enjoyment of both. Well, here we are, chum. Let's see what happens...

First I'd like to give props to unquiet grave, and the author's article on Siegfried Kracauer's article "Photography" from the 1920s. While stating the developments of Kracauer's essay clearly, the author brings his own admirable sensitivity to his exploration of the work.

Now, onward and upward. Let's see if I have the chutzpah...or should I say the strength...to keep this blog afloat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home